Tuesday, December 14, 2010

#4/1000: Dr. Dog "Easy Beat" (2005)

I'm not sure how most people do it, but I've always found all my music through suggestions and mainly exposure of my close friends' music collections and discoveries. We were like vultures around a fresh kill every time a new piece of music would come into our lives. I vividly remember when Dr. Dog fell onto our plates; not even the bones were left over.

My longtime friend and then roommate Brittney Maddox came home one afternoon beaming and, without a word, proceeded to plug a burnt CD into our living room computer. My mind was instantly blown; I just could not wrap my head around what I was hearing. These beautifully-written harshly-recorded pop songs sounded like they had oozed out of the Beatles' brains in the middle of the night and ended up here decades later. She had found 3 of their songs from who-knows-where ("The World May Never Know," "Oh No," and an alternate version of "Wake Up") and we listened to them excessively until we finally got this full 9 song album. Two weeks later, in fully-obsessed mode, we went and saw them live in Dallas at Trees in Deep Ellum, had a few too many, and all awkwardly professed our love to them after their set while we collectively watched Architecture In Helsinki rip it up on stage. There have only been a few times in my life where I instantly like an entire album the first listen; Easy Beat achieved that and has only gotten better each time. This gorgeously unpolished record deserves your attention; don't keep it waiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment