Saturday, December 11, 2010

#2/1000: Hot Hot Heat "Knock Knock Knock" EP (2002)

My sister and I used to fight over this CD constantly. Not only did it rock ridiculously hard, but it was probably the coolest CD we'd ever seen since it was clear plastic around the outer inch rim of the disc.
Gimmick aside, though, it's definitely incredible enough to easily make it onto this list despite it's short running time. Steve Bay's voice is at it's most golden here with all-out open-throat barks and cries that feel so fresh and original. The energy on this EP seems infinite (the fact that there's only five songs helps) and I know that that energy is what keeps me coming back. "Le Le Low" kicks off the soiree the right way and let's you know that Steve can and will do anything with his voice that he pleases while the band cranks out some really impressive music. "5 Times Out of 100" melts my face so good while "Have A Good Sleep" and "Touch You Touch Me" help build up to the crown jewel. The EP ends on a platinum note with the epic "More For Show;" I'd say it's probably my favorite of all their songs. Do yourselves a favor and take 17 minutes out of your life to change it.

No comments:

Post a Comment