Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Top 20 Favorite Movie Soundtracks- By Jason Anders

In my last post post I wrote about the top ten movies I love that most people hate. It got me to thinking about movie soundtracks and if I had a top favorites list already made up in my mind for the best scores and favorite "mix tape" soundtrack albums. I didn't. But now I do. There was never an official soundtrack released for "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", but if there were it would have easily slid into the top five.

20. Psycho (1960) - Bernard Herrmann
''Do what you like, but only one thing I ask of you: Please write nothing for the murder in the shower. That must be without music.'' -Alfred Hitchcock

19. Marie Antoinette- Various Artists
Nothing made this film more unique than its music- Sofia Coppola's mix tape makes this story from 1786 feel like modern day. Who else would dare put The Cure against an 18th century backdrop?

18. I ♥ Huckabees- Jon Brion
Jon Brion rules. Case closed.

17. American Graffiti- Various Artists
This was the first soundtrack I remember buying as a kid. I was blown away by its length- 41 songs straight out of a '60s jukebox. This is where I first learned names like Morris Levy and Jerry Allison. I was also somewhat attracted to the fast-food girl on the album cover.

16. The Bride of Frankenstein- Franz Waxman
Movies hadn't even had sound for seven years when Franz Waxman created the musical clichés that you still hear in today's horror movies. That it's organic here makes it all the more delightful.

15. The Pink Panther- Henry Mancini
Besides the fact that this music takes me back in time to days lounging in my Colorado den watching Peter Sellers with my dad is enough to rank this soundtrack in my top fifteen- That it also makes me feel carefree and in the mood to do some detective work is an added bonus.

14. Meet Me In St. Louis- Roger Edens
From its title track down to Judy Garland's "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas", this music reminds me of a time I never lived in with people I never knew... but wish that I did.

13. Magnolia- Aimee Mann
Aimee Mann recorded eight new songs for this film, and the only negative reviews this soundtrack garnered were that people were upset she didn't record more. The song used in the trailer, "Momentum", is my favorite. In fact, I'm listening to it right now.

12. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou- Seu Jorge
This soundtrack has it all- Not only some of the best of David Bowie, but Bowie songs in Portuguese by Brazilian artist Seu Jorge. It also has one of my favorite score tracks by Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo called "Ping Island". It starts off as soft-techno and grows into an epic orchestral theme.


11. This Is Spinal Tap- Spinal Tap
"It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black." When Rob Reiner makes a pop metal album, you listen. This album goes all the way up to 11 on my list.

10. Good Will Hunting- Elliot Smith
I wasn't allowed to watch the movie when it came out, but I certainly owned the soundtrack which played endlessly in my Discman. "Miss Misery" by Elliot Smith was my favorite track, but you also get goodies like Gerry Rafferty, Al Green, and even some score by Danny Elfman.

9. Lost In Translation- Kevin Shields
Another Sofia Coppola soundtrack makes my list, only this time she's bringing My Bloody Valentine to the streets of Tokyo. I wish that all of the songs that appeared in the movie made it onto this record, but at least we get the hidden track of Bill Murray performing "More Than This" by Roxy Music.

8. Reservoir Dogs- Various Artists
Quentin Tarantino has the greatest movie soundtracks of all time. He selects his music as carefully as he does his actors. He once said that marrying a scene with a piece of music is about as cinematic a thing you can do, and he does it with every film he makes. This soundtrack is fun because we get to have Steven Wright as our DJ. The music of Stealers Wheel will never be received the same way after this film.

7. Almost Famous- Various Artists
Who better to put together a mix tape soundtrack than a journalist for Cream Magazine and Rolling Stone? And in a movie about writing for Rolling Stone in the '70s, no less. Cameron Crowe assembles a soundtrack consisting of Led Zeppelin, The Who, Simon & Garfunkel, David Bowie, The Beach Boys, and many more. Including a score by his wife and guitarist of Heart, Nancy Wilson. It's a think piece.

6. The Graduate- Simon & Garfunkel
An entire soundtrack from Simon & Garfunkel? Yes, please! I especially love the interlude of "Scarborough Fair". This album is trying to seduce me.

5. The Blues Brothers- John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd
Not only do you get new versions of classic blues songs by Joliet Jake and Elwood Blues, but there's also new recordings from James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, and Cab Calloway. Too bad the extended John Lee Hooker track didn't make this album.

4. The Music Man- Ray Heindorf
My favorite classic musical of all time... maybe it's a result of living in Iowa. My favorite song is "Ya Got Trouble". One of my favorite moments in television is on Ally McBeal when Peter MacNicol breaks into this song in front of the jury during his closing. David E. Kelley references this musical in a lot of his work.

3. Juno- Various Artists
The key is to get the limited edition 2-Disc edition of this soundtrack- It has more Buddy Holly, plus "Zub Zub" by Ellen Page. Despite its over-exposure, the Moldy Peaches song still makes me happy. My favorite is a pre-existing track from Cat Power, a cover of "Sea of Love". I usually put that one on repeat.

2. Pulp Fiction- Various Artists
This was my first CD to buy with the "Parental Advisory" sticker on it. Fortunately the guy at Music 4 Less was cool enough to sell it to an 8th grader. It's funny that this album requires parental advisory, seeing as how it's fueled by classic tracks from Ricky Nelson, Dusty Springfield, and The Statler Brothers. What's cool is that of all the artists being suggested to Quentin Tarantino by MCA Records for a new recording to promote as a single, he chose to go with Maria McKee of Lone Justice. Her live vocals on "If Love Is A Red Dress (Hang Me In Rags)" is the best she's ever sounded. You also get tons of movie dialogue here, and another of my favorite tracks, the explosive "Jungle Boogie" by Kool & the Gang. The soundtrack does suffer from not having all of the music featured in the film, especially the song that plays while John Travolta explores the scenery of Jack Rabbit Slims.

1. A Hard Day's Night- The Beatles
Strummmmm! Need I say more? My favorite tracks are "Tell Me Why" and "Can't Buy Me Love"- This stands alone as a great Beatles album, but when accompanied by the visuals of Richard Lester's film you'll conjure up images of the "dirty old man" popping up, and John, Paul, George, and Ringo gleefully running amok through the streets of London. British critic Leslie Halliwell said "it led directly to all the kaleidoscopic swinging London spy thrillers and comedies of the later sixties." An album for that moment in time by the biggest band in history for one of my favorite movies makes this my top soundtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment